Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2020

2020 First Post

Hi my art blog. I know it has been a while since I posted anything here.
Marking 2020, half a year is passing soon and I've been slowly getting back on my feet on the art journey.

Things to be grateful:
I now occupied a small art studio that used to be my brother's room. He got married therefore moved out. Although it's cramped with items but it has became my tiny heaven.

I started working as a part time lecturer, maybe moving onto full time once I'm more settled into the job. Teaching is hard work, but, I know this is what I've been looking forward to since coming back to Malaysia.

My parents are providing me food and roof in this pandemic. Imagine if I'm still wandering, working all by myself overseas in New Zealand. I'm grateful to be back to home despite that ringgit currency sucks. Ahaha.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
So I came back to Malaysia in mid January, in time for Chinese New Year.
After celebrations, I started to arrange my belongings, tidying things and get ready to produce artworks.

In March, I received my lecturing job offer under the assist of my lecturers. Imagining that I will be working for the school I used to study at, Dasein Academy of Art! It is a great honor to be contributing back in Malaysia's art education. Although I don't know how far will I be in it, but let's appreciate being in the moment and do my best.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
During my time in New Zealand, after graduating I haven't had much time to immerse myself into the indulgence of oil painting. I had done watercolors most time, each mediums carries their own charm. But the yummy buttery texture and flexibility in styles creation of oil painting is incomparable. Hence, to produce more oil paintings has certainly became a to-do-list on my coming back. Regardless so, I'm also hoping to explore mediums such as wool felting, art creation and exploration sure is endless.

So first thing to do is build my portfolio, and get onto making artworks.
The idea that I settled into at first was a 3 phase of works, naming Here, There and Then. 

Here refers to my my homeland, Malaysia. The familiarity. The re-observation of past and now. That might had turned into an unfamiliar realm.

There refers to the temporary existence of student life, which includes insecurity of that period.

Then refers to the life of a friend and his family, some particular moments that I find it interesting that I do not experience in my own culture.

Honestly speaking I'm not sure if I got everything I needed for this project. After discussion with friends, they pointed what's wrong with it and I'm aware of what they mentioned. I somewhat knew the problem but need verification.

Anyhow, decision came to let's move one step then follows the other as the first warps up.

First, I'm gonna finish the series of student flatting life and self portrait.
Zeta was the flat name where many good friends live. It's sort of rundown, if one wanna compares them to their homes with family.

 Adrian and Ian II
2020
Oil on Canvas
42cm x 56cm


 Milo, Cookies and Noodles
2020
Oil on Canvas
30.5cm x 41cm


 NG Chilling II
2020
Oil on Canvas
56cm x 42cm


combined with previous works from 2017,
 Adrian and Ian
2017
Oil on Canvas
23cm x 27cm


 Adrian, Ian and Anson
2017
Oil on Canvas
36in x 55in


 NG Chilling
2017
Oil on Canvas
41cm x 35cm

Now looking back at 2017's work they looked more raw compared to 2020, it might be that my brushstrokes are getting more loose since then or because 2017's work were not on a stretcher. Overall I would say they still looked pretty good put together.

There're a few more I'm planning to paint to call this series fully complete. This series made me realize the intimate small sized painting gives a different vibes compared to larger paintings that I got accustomed to maybe because the fashion in the art scene was so. Certainly size has became a far more important factor to consider in making future artworks. Because of the shaggy furniture and interior it has also provided me a chance to play around with rough texture. Especially the wall and sofas.

I'm thinking to post works from other series too, but I should try to keep this clean perhaps.
So am gonna leave it here for now.

Till next update, my art blog.

Tags: 人物画 Figurative Painting 人物油画

No comments:

Post a Comment